Lamb Rump salad with baked beets
- 1 brown onion peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 10 juniper berries
- Approx 6 fresh sprigs thyme
- 500ml cheap red wine (merlot or Cab sav)
- Crush the juniper berries and the peppercorns
- Pick the thyme or rough chop
- Place all the ingredients into a stainless steel sauce pan and bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 5min, then leave to cool
- This recipe is good for approx 2 rumps
- Once you have trimmed up your rump then have the flat side up where there is a thin white sinew line running along the length , cut the rump in half along this seam, then trim the sinew away and you will have some beautiful even meat fillet looking pieces. Place these fillets into a stainless or glass container, pour over the marinade and cover. This can be kept in the fridge up to approx 3 to 4 days, overnight would be the minimum for imparting flavour.
- 4 medium sized red beets
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- Olive oil
- Wash the beets
- Place in a baking dish with the other ingredients
- Cover with tin foil and bake at 170 deg C cook for approx 1 hour or until beets are tender
- Leave to cool a little before peeling and slicing
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Remove the lamb from the marinade and pat dry, oil the lamb rump and season, sear the meat in a hot fry pan then place into a preheated oven or BBQ at 180°c, cook for approx 4 to 6 min remove and keep in a warm place to rest.
- Place the pan back onto the heat and tip in the marinade, add a little colour to the marinade then add the tomato and brown sugar, add 250ml chicken stock and 250ml water, simmer to reduce by half, mix the flour and butter together to form a paste then whisk this into the sauce to thicken.
- Season the sliced beetroot and warm through, arrange on a plate, carve the Lamb rump and arrange on top with the sauce to the side.
* An alternate sauce would be a salsa verde as a summertime option and also in the salad some rocket and feta, replace red beets for some yellow and or raw thin sliced capsicums with a raspberry vinaigrette